I have taken a day for study today. One of the things I have been able to finally accomplish is to get a list of paper topics out to my students in Christian Ethics. I have pasted the paper topics below in the form of propositions, which I expect the students either to defend or rebut. I am posting these topics because I thought you might find them interesting. You may want to think through the topics as well and answer them for yourself. Feel free to share your response to one or all of the topics:
1. Christians should be protesting against the oppressing sin of usury because it is more clearly condemned in the Bible than abortion. (See Daily Kos article)
2. Matthew 19:1-11 stands in complete agreement with Luke 16:18.
9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.” (Matthew 19:9, NASB)
18 “Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries one who is divorced from a husband commits adultery.” (Luke 16:18, NASB)
3. There is never a situation in which it is acceptable for a Christian to lie—a thorough consideration.
4. A proper biblical understanding of theology leads to the conclusion that masturbation is a sin for the Christian.
5. The most important reason Christians cannot be utilitarian or consequentialist in their actions is ______________________________________ (fill in the blank, then defend it).
6. Any Christian in any country throughout the world who wishes to live a consistent, Christian life of faith will suffer persecution.
- American Socialism Working – 1 in 4 Kids on Food Stamps (politicaloutcast.com)